Montag, 22. April 2013

Regarding my last post


In some ways I didn't observe one of my blog rules with my last post. This is not a political blog or one commenting on contemporary events and the like. I am not good at this and so I rather leave it to others. On the other hand, my blog is about the things that bother me either in a positive or in a negative way. And the tragedy in Boston did bother me a lot. 
Somebody I know was participating the marathon. For one night I wasn't sure if that person was safe and even though I don't know that person very well that fact made the whole event closer and in a way more real for me.
I'm not saying that I am never shocked about bad news because it is something that has happened to strangers - I definitely am shocked and sad when I read or hear about such things. It is frightening to see what people are capable of. Still there is always a certain kind of distance to your own life. That's why we tend to be more shocked when for example something happens in a place we know because that makes the distance smaller. Or the distance gets smaller because somebody we know is in some way affected (as in my case). And naturally everybody hopes that the distance remains as great as possible.
However, as always in such cases, there are people for whom the distance has turned into nothing and who have been directly or indirectly affected. And I can't describe how sorry I am for them. 
I was relieved when I heard that the terrorists have been caught especially as I hope this will be helpful for the victims in any way. 

There is a proverb which says: Every cloud has a silver lining.
For me this silver lining was to see how the rest of the world got together in showing their condemnation of the crime and also their compassion.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen